J. Thompson Wyatt Post 2, Inc.

How to Request Military Service Records or Prove Military Service


Military personnel records can be used for proving military service, or as a valuable tool in genealogical research. Most veterans and their next-of-kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 (Report of Separation) and other military and medical records several ways:  Your request must contain certain basic information for us to locate your service records. This information includes:

  • The veteran's complete name used while in service

  • Service number

  • Social security number

  • Branch of service

  • Dates of service

  • Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known).

If you suspect your records may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:

  • Place of discharge

  • Last unit of assignment

  • Place of entry into the service, if known

  • All requests must be signed and dated by the veteran or next-of-kin.

If you are the next of kin of a deceased veteran, you must provide proof of death of the veteran such as a copy of death certificate, letter from funeral home, or published obituary.